Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The shrinking world

Still in Jo-burg. South Africa Airlines has determined that we will have a little R&R. We are in a very nice hotel -- on their bill. But we are also missing key days for filming which is very, very disappointing. TIA (That is Africa)
We did a little visit to the local mall. I'm not sure if it is comforting or discouraging to see that the local mall in Johannesburg, South Africa could be Square One in Toronto.
Ironically, I was snagged by a young sales woman who tried to convince me to buy some extremely travel savvy make up. She also offered me a book that would show me how to use that makeup. Now, you have to understand that I have been without a blow drier or velcro rollers for 9 days. Multiplying the stunning and fashionable me is my attire of 2 skirts and a pair of whatever those pants are called that just go beneath the knees -- tied together in a very effective look with an oversize sweatshirt with Salem printed over my matronly bosom. AND, who would know, it turns out that the makeup product was made in Toronto. Why wouldn't I buy several -- for only $8700Ran -- somewhere just over $100. And then drag it back to Toronto in my little back pack.... I did not succumb to her excellent sales pitch. She was clearly disappointed.
The prices here are pretty much like Canada. I resisted buying too much, because I could by it all at home -- I am holding out for something really cool in Ghana.
We have until just after noon to explore Jo-burg -- what are the chances that we could actually see something interesting?

No comments: