Friday, February 5, 2010

The Rise of Mobile...

The Gartner report on Technology predicts:
By 2014, mobile and Internet technology will help over 3 billion of the world's adults to electronically transact. Emerging economies will see increase in mobile and Internet adoption through 2014. Worldwide mobile penetration rate will get to 90%.

Mal Warwick suggests that the three trends posing the greatest challenges to non-profits (and I suggest all organizations and companies) are:
1. The proliferation of new communications tools and technologies
2. Understanding online and offline networks.
3. Multi-channel marketing demanding seamless donor and customer-centered programs.

I read a lot about new technology. The iPad launched last week (not so sure that is new technology, but it certainly caused a buzz). I am very interested in new trends, new opportunities and just where my audiences are.

But I hesitate to throw conventional wisdom aside.

To be a truly strong marketer I have to understand people. I have to be able to read the test cases and spreadsheets. I need to understand the very foundations of human instinct. That’s why I read Shelley’s Frankenstein, Huxley’s Brave New World, Atwood’s The Year of the Flood and Coupland’s Generation A.

The new tools require new ways of applying our knowledge of people.

No comments: